Greggs was provided with a flexible, scalable, energy efficient data centre design. Following a comprehensive tendering process, Future-tech, data centre specialists, acted as Main Contractor for Greggs’ turnkey data centre construction project, providing design, build and maintenance services.
The data centre solution had to be designed in phases that closely matched Greggs growing requirement for IT services in terms of both cabinet number and power density. Planning constraints, plant attenuation, access, health and safety, energy efficiency and operational sustainability all had to be considered to ensure a flexible and scalable data centre platform was delivered.
CHALLENGES AND CONSTRAINTS
(1) Each phase of the data centre design had to be as energy efficient as possible and always provide a low PUE even at partial utilisation.
(2) The space allocated for the new data centre build was constrained so there was a significant requirement for innovative ways of reducing overall foot print whilst maintaining performance.
(3) Greggs is a business that maintains a close control on cost to ensure their customers receive a quality product at an affordable price and this ethos goes through the whole business, with this in mind reducing cost whilst maintaining quality and performance was key.
(4) As the data centre is located adjacent to an international distribution depot, airborne particulate from diesel engines had to be considered.
(5) The construction had to be coordinated in line with set migration schedules for Greggs’ IT requirements.
THE FUTURE-TECH SOLUTION
An innovative, space efficient and modular data centre facility was designed and built by Future-tech. The new secure data centre solution utilises an external modular shell and resilient power and cooling systems. Using Uptime Institute Tier III principles the project compromises of 5 phases which accommodate Greggs current data centre requirements, and intended expansion over the next 5 years. All expansion and maintenance works can be completed whilst maintaining live services.
The result is a flexible, scalable and energy efficient data centre solution with 24/7/365 monitoring, support and ongoing optimisation provided by Future-tech, data centre specialists.
The Greggs data centre build is one of more than 60 facilities supported and maintained by Future-tech. For more information about scalable, modular, energy efficient data centres, their design, construction and ongoing operation please contact our data centre team on 0845 9000 127.
With Future-tech’s careful attention to all the individual details we’ve ended up with a very energy efficient data centre